Holiday Meal Plan
Last month I listed some of the bigger offenders concerning calorie overload during the holidays. The following represent better choices for those that wish to enter the New Year without the typical 7-12 lb. weight gain that most Americans experience. Below you’ll find a suggested holiday meal plan.
- 4-6 oz. white meat turkey or lean ham 120-180 cal.
- 8 oz. (approx. 1 ½ cups) sweet potato mash with butter substitute 200 cal.
- 1 cup green beans seasoned with pork or olive oil 50-100 cal. (any green veggie will fall in this range)
- 1 100% whole wheat roll with butter substitute 75-125 cal.
- Total calorie range: 445-605 cal.
Calories may be adjusted down, and one could easily get below 350 calories, amazingly low for a holiday meal!
- Dressing may be substituted for the sweet potato (½-¾ cup) for equal calorie exchange.
- Dessert is more problematic unless one is willing to use sugar substitutes, such as fat-free or low fat, no sugar added yogurt or ice cream.
- Any food that is creamed or contains cheese or butter in liberal amounts will add up fast, each containing approximately 100 calories/ounce!
Nutrition Speclialist, Ortho-Kinetics® Trainer